https://reallygreatfood.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/gyrowithgrilledeggplant.jpg 2374 2374 admin https://reallygreatfood.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Really-Great-Food-Logo-21.png admin2018-08-30 12:26:342018-08-30 12:26:34So-Cal Lo-Cal Vegan Gyro
So-Cal Lo-Cal Vegan Gyro
Using the The Really Great Food Company All-Purpose Flour Mix
YOU WILL NEED:
- 2 cups RGF All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour
- 1 package yeast
- 1 tablespoon of honey or agave
- 1/2 cup of coconut milk with splash of apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 eggplant
- 1 tomato
- 1 red onion
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 tablespoons salt
Non-Dairy Yogurt sauce or Vegan Ranch Dressing
- Mix all dry ingredients including yeast in a bowl. Whisk to blend
- Add all wet ingredients and beat on low for 2-3 minutes
- Roll out into six equal rounds using AP Flour on hands to prevent from sticking. Flatten between two pieces of plastic or parchment into a pita shape. Lay on a towel cover and rest for 10 minutes
- Heat grill or pan to medium-high with splash of olive oil.
- Brush one-side of pita with olive oil sprinkle with spices. Cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
*Can also be baked (poke with fork in various places first) in a 375* oven for 12-15 minutes.
- Keep between two moist heated towels before serving. Put to side while preparing eggplant.
- Sprinkle eggplant slices with salt on both sides. Place in a colander set over a bowl; let stand 1 hour to drain. Discard liquid; rinse eggplant slices under cold running water. Place on several layers of paper towels, and press out water.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Generously brush both sides of eggplant slices with oil; sprinkle with pepper. Place on grill, and cook until browned, 5 to 6 minutes. Flip eggplant slices, and cook until browned on bottom.
- When ready to serve, fold gyro around slices of grilled eggplant. Top with lettuce, sliced tomato, sliced onions and a yogurt sauce or vegan Ranch dressing.
Pita is vegan (if not using honey)/ dairy free/egg free & gluten free
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!